Tuesday 14 January 2014

FA CUP...



When they say anything can happen in the FA Cup they weren't wrong. To have three games called off and only be at the Third Round stage is definitely surprising. 

Tonight's game against Charlton Athletic at The Valley is finally on dispite many rumours that the pitch is flirting with the referee once again to make him get his loafers dirty and execute the good old ball bounce test one more time. It's been very frustrating but also I blessing in disguise to have a bit of a break, especially with the busy festive period jam packed with games. 

The trouble with evening games is you have a lot of time on your hands, which if was a normal day off could be used productively but in this case is pretty boring. 

So what do us footballers get up to?


A few years ago I played against Man Utd in the 5th Round at Old Trafford and I never really paid much attention to anything other than the match. I was too worried about making sure I didn't make a fool of myself on National tv and the fact it was Man Utd. But as I'm sat here now I wonder whether Rooney, Carrick or Chicharito were preparing with the same tense anticipation...I doubt it. 

Today has consisted of having a few extra minutes in bed (which I savor), a bit of FIFA 14 ultimate team on the Xbox, have a read of a few articles that The Boy Kitson recommended, and lastly but most importantly prepare food for breaky/snacks and even a meal for after the game. My colitis can't always handle the usual Dominos Pzzas for the coach journey home (even though they smell mouth watering). So I've prepared a Chicken and rice dish that is sat in fridge of the coach. 




Once all this is done it's then time to pick one of the Rugrats up from Preschool, feed her and then get ready to go and meet the team bus at a designated meet point which is usually a Holiday Inn not too far from a motorway junction. 


But I was wondering do people like Rooney prepare the same way? It would be great to have an insight into his life to see how he spends the long hours before a big Tuesday night match. What's his fighting fuel? Does he have the same every time? Does he play computer consoles or do the school run? If I was a football fan I'd love to know how they went about a match day. This is the reason why I'm writing now. I'm not a big name player and have only played a handful of games in the Championship at best, but the good thing about the FA Cup is that these two different lifestyles get opportunities to meet. That's why we love the FA Cup! 

Here's hoping for another good one. 

Fingers crossed, Hunty...